2017 MBJA Race Team
The goals of the MBJA Racing Program are to provide Holland Area youth, ages 8-18, with professional coaching, training and guidance. Coaches will be present both in practice and during local and regional regattas which the students participate in.
This shared commitment and continued learning results in a tight-knit team possessing knowledge of the rules, skills, strategy, spirit of cooperation and sportsmanship required to be a successful sailor.
Specially designed to increase youth self-esteem and confidence through control and mastery of themselves and their boat, the MBJA Race Team includes mentorship of less-experienced sailors through community service projects in the sailing school. The Summer Racing Program also improves physical conditioning through appropriate training and activities.
2017 MBJA Race Team is open to all Optimist, 420 and Laser Sailors who have completed the Optimist and 420 and Laser Race Sessions, and have one season of racing experience, at the coach’s recommendation. MBJA Race Team sailors will receive 8 weeks training comprised of on the water practice and shore based chalk talks. Sailors will benefit from long term dedicated coaching and consistent time on the water during the summer. Team Macatawa will compete in WMYSA events and other major regattas in the Midwest. Including, but not limited to:
- WMYSA #1 @ Macatawa Bay YC- Friday, June 30th
- WMYSA #2 @ Spring Lake YC – Friday, July 14th
- WMYSA #3 @ White Lake YC- Friday, July 28th
- WMYSA #4 @ Muskegon YC – Friday. August 11th
Training Sessions will begin Monday June 19 and run through Friday August 11th. Training Sessions will be run Monday – Thursday from 1:00 – 4:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM for WMYSA and MBJA Club Series.
Annual Cost: $1200
Costs included Training, Entry fees for the WMYSA. Entry fees and travel and logistics costs for away races are not included.
- Sailor must own Opti ,Laser, or 420 otherwise a limited charter will be available from MBJA. Contact the Sailing Director for more details email@example.com
- Sailors must have at least one year of racing experience and successfully completed Opti or Laser/420 Learn to Race. Final acceptance is at the discretion of the Sailing Director and coaches.
- Sailors must demonstrate good sportsmanship and team spirit during all practices and events.
- Sailors will be highly encouraged to participate in MBJA summer and holiday club racing events.
- Sailors & Parents will be required to sign and adhere to behavior contract.